Description

A fine example of a post-Civil War public schoolhouse, the Ralston School served as a school from its construction in 1869 to 1922. Later it was converted into an organ pipe factory, and then, though historically certified, stood vacant for 25 years.

Richard M. Cole & Associates transformed the original, four-room schoolhouse, by now a shell and its adjoining industrial structure into a functioning family home. The architect created a state-of-the-art kitchen to accommodate cooking and entertaining for the owners' large family gatherings. The house also features five bedrooms, a home office, a large garage and an open courtyard.

The historically accurate exterior, with new windows, roof, brackets and doors, was designed to meet stringent historic preservation regulations.